Saturday, June 29, 2013

Questionable Parenting

I often question our parenting methods and admit we don't really know what we're doing, but Kristin really surprised me the other day. I was playing with the boys in the playroom and Henry started to be naughty. Kristin finally said, "That's it! You're going in the closet." She was quite serious. I, of course, gave her a surprised look, and she further explained that she has been trying out our downstairs closet as a timeout area. She said she gets too tired carrying one, often two, squirming and crying boys up the stairs to their rooms. Now granted, there is a window, it is pretty large and she says she turns on the light, but I have a feeling that may be straddling some sort of acceptable discipline/abuse line. It could certainly create some sort of phobia. During this same period of time, Kristin also told the kids to "clean up this shithole" referring to our playroom. She swears a lot.

Since I am pointing out Kristin's motherly faults, I will add that I think her internet privileges may need to be revoked. She was doing her typical read everything under the sun and came across an article about dry drowning. The article talked about a kid drowning hours after being in a pool because he swallowed pool water and it got into his lungs, later drowning him in his sleep. I hate this stuff because there's enough things to worry about already, and now I was thinking that I would have to stay up all night watching over Cole and Henry every time they went in a pool.

Luckily our doctor told Kristin that it is basically not true and wouldn't happen. Phew...take that one off the list. This just reminded me that besides having all the answers at your fingertips, the internet does have some negatives. I think I will have to set some parental controls so Kristin can avoid whatever garbage websites she reads that post inaccurate crap like dry drowning.

Oh, how great it would be to be an illiterate parent. Damn whoever taught me to read.




Walking home from brunch we got caught in a downpour. You can't really tell from the pic but it was coming down in sheets!

2 comments:

  1. hilarious! i love when kristin asks professionals questions like this (firefighter with bodies and now this)!! it's very entertaining, i just wish i could see their faces when she does :)

    ReplyDelete