Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Not So Happy Father's Day

This year I did not have a Father's Day I would like to repeat. First the weather sucked, so we couldn't go on the pontoon, which I was looking forward to all weekend. Then my two boys were not able to get me the coffee mug with a lid that I wanted. Oh yeah, then there was this...


We were minutes from leaving my parent's house after our Father's Day celebration. Henry was strapped in his car seat and Cole was in his jammies. Kristin was just about to grab Cole for goodbyes; I didn't see exactly what happened, but the gist of it is Cole tripped and hit his head on the square base of a table. It sounded awful. Kristin ran over to grab him and saw that he was bleeding. I then grabbed him, thinking it was not too bad, and discovered that the cut was so deep I could see white; not a layer of skin left, just skull. My Dad and I rushed off to the hospital, I didn't even bother to throw on shoes. Oh, but it didn't go as smoothly as predicted. We got stuck waiting for a train. We were not even fortunate enough to catch the middle or end of it. The crossing was closing just as we approached. Obviously very frustrating, but once the bleeding was under control and I didn't have to put pressure on the wound, Cole calmed down and stopped squirming.

Of course it was a nice long wait at the hospital.  Luckily Cole was very calm during the waiting period and charmed all the nurses. Finally we were able to get checked out and Cole got numbed up and prepped for stitches. I am proud to say he acted very tough throughout the whole ordeal (Kristin too). He ended up with three interior stitches and seven to the outside. If you have been lucky enough to NOT witness your child getting stitches let's hope it stays that way. It was the most painful 30 minutes of my life. Kristin and Cole bawled the entire time.
 Tired and sweaty after getting stitched up

 All fixed up

Having fun with his mail before "the incident"

Now we have the pleasure of cleaning the wound twice daily and applying ointment. You can imagine how well that goes over every day. Cole is back to his wild ways, running and tripping and making us crazy. Kristin tells me she is getting an Ergo Baby carrier and Cole will live safely on her back for the rest of time. Father's Day 2012 is sure to be a smashing success.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow you guys--poor Cole and horrible for you both. Scott sat through Cohen's catheter in the Children's Hospital ER when he was a baby, pretty sure he may have shed some tears watching. I hope Cole heals quickly, glad to hear he is doing better already. Happy Belated Father's Day Nick!

    ReplyDelete