Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Father's Night

I've been dreading this night since I got the invite below - Dad's Night at Cole's school. Dreading because I knew there would be interaction with douchey Dads and probably some singing.


Things started off with a scare. Cole and I were the first ones there, and the last ones to leave, not on purpose or by choice. Cole and I were playing with the train set while others were arriving. As some others joined us I got a big whiff of poo. Kristin did not send me out with a diaper bag, so I thought I was screwed. Luckily it wasn't Cole and someone must have just dropped a bomb...sadly I think it was a Dad and not a kid.

Cole and I on our way to Dad's night (our house is a shit pile mess because we just got home from a long weekend away)

Once the night officially started, Cole jumped at the chance to introduce me and said, "This is my friend, Dad." In the beginning, he was participating and answered a couple questions correctly and was doing very well. I was very proud. Then his teacher, Mrs. Piller, went through the calendar (month and day) but when she went back through and asked what day it was today Cole shouted out "25." Wrong! Then Mrs. Piller asked him what song we should sing next and Cole did his silent no head shake. He has been doing this lately and it is super annoying, not to mention rude. You ask him something and he doesn't say anything; he just does this little no shake of the head. Also, Mrs. Piller asked who brought the snack and Cole shouted out, "I did." We did not bring the snack.

The worst part of the evening was definitely the singing (with hand gestures) and dancing. This is troubling enough for an introvert like myself, but then Cole decided he wanted to play with the chalkboard and not partake, so I was left singing and doing the Hokey Pokey all by myself. I finally just picked him up about half way through to try to somewhat end the embarrassment.

The only other negative was Cole refusing to leave and when I finally got him out the classroom door everyone was putting on jackets and hats (it was raining outside). Cole and I had no jackets or hats or rain gear. I blame Kristin for that one.

Overall, it was a fine evening though and I think Cole had fun showing me his school and playing. I'm glad we went...that's about as cheesy I will get on this blog. We also made this hat together, which is clearly a highlight of the night. Cole was scared to put the paper bag over his head to shape it, but Mrs. Piller helped us out. She's a nice lady, no wonder Cole asks her to kiss his invisible injuries all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment